Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I Need A Hug


Have you ever driven around not realizing that your tank was on empty?  The gas light begins to flash and you gasp after catching it in the corner of your eye.  I’ve maneuvered under that situation many times.  I was more focused on the things that had to get done. Buying fuel stopped the clock, when I could be much more productive—a  drats moment, indeed.

 A life on the go changes drastically once you become disabled. You realize that you can’t function like you used to. Simple tasks become burdensome, difficult, and in some cases impossible to perform. You went from running in a marathon, to a sprinter, to the person who holds the flag, and yells on your mark, get set, go!

Your first lesson in bravery and patience begins when you have to prove to the mockers (Social Security System) that you are in fact disabled, and not a lazy con artist.  Next it’s with the rest of the world, and yes, even some members of your Christian family.
You hear the gossipy whispers.  “She must have done something bad for God to punish her like that. She’s been cursed with a disability for a reason. I’ll pray for her.”

Then, there are the bolder ones who will tell you to your face, ( in love of course) “You've been cursed with disability for a reason. You should pray more, and God will fix you. (and if he doesn't, you don't have enough faith)

Psst... great way to make someone feel like they are doomed!
Thank God He doesn’t make me feel that way! In fact, never in my life have I felt more radical a need to depend on Him!

I’ve learned that a Christian life does not guarantee absence from pain. I’ve become much more tender-hearted towards those who are suffering. Brokenness comes in many forms, and my sense of purpose is hidden in Him, my flesh really has little to offer.
The truest form of disability is a lack of compassion. May my heart stay forever close to Jesus. Honestly, a man of sorrows while on earth.

My rant is over now. Blessings~


“But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.” ~ 2 Corinthians 4:7-10

 

No comments:

Post a Comment